Uganda gorilla trekking safari in 2022; Gorilla trekking is an extraordinary and the most popular activity in Uganda that attracts big numbers of tourists. Gorilla trekking in Uganda is done in two destinations namely Mgahinga gorilla national park and Bwindi impenetrable national park which harbors the highest number of mountain gorillas that are found in four sectors including Rushaga sector in the south, Buhoma sector in the north, Ruhija sector in the east and Nkuringo sector in the south.
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga gorilla national park starts early in the morning with a briefing about the rules and regulations at the park headquarters. After the briefing you will be allocated a habituated gorilla family to trek and an experienced park guide who is well conversant with trails in the jungle. Trekking of the mountain gorillas in Uganda takes about 30 minutes to 6 hours depending on where the gorillas are located because they like to move from one place to another in search of food. During trekking you will be able to view other different primate species, birds, plant and tree species among others and once the gorillas are found, you will be allowed to spend one hour with them in their environment where you will be able to learn about their habits, watch them carry out their daily activities, take photos and record the breathtaking memories to show people back home after the safari.
Cost of Uganda gorilla trekking permit in 2022
A gorilla trekking permit is a legal card or document that is issued by Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) to any visitor above the age of 15 years allowing him or her to visit a habituated gorilla family in either Bwindi impenetrable national park or Mgahinga gorilla national park. A gorilla trekking permit in Uganda in 2022 costs USD 700 per person for foreign non residents, USD 600 per person for foreign residents and UGX 250,000 per person for east African citizens.
Gorilla trekking permits in Uganda in 2022 can either be booked directly through Uganda Wildlife Authority by contacting the head offices in Kampala via email or telephone calls. You can also book a gorilla trekking permit in Uganda through a trusted tour operator like Achieve Global safaris by contacting us with the dates you wish to travel and gorilla destination you wish to visit. After contacting us, we will check for permit availability and if there are permits that match with your dates, you will be asked to make a deposit for the permit. Once we receive the money, we will acquire the permits on your behalf.
Best time to go on a Uganda gorilla trekking safari in 2022
You can go on a Uganda gorilla trekking safari in 2022 anytime throughout the year though the best time is during the dry season in the months of June, July, August, September, December, January and February. During the dry season the gorilla destinations receive less or little rainfall therefore access roads and gorilla trekking trails will be dry and passable compared to the wet/ rainy season when the trails are muddy and slippery which make trekking difficult.
What to carry or pack on the Uganda gorilla trekking safari in 2022
There are a number of items to carry during your Uganda gorilla trekking safari in 2022 including,
- Garden gloves to protect you from germs and stinging nettles
- Hiking boots to protect your ankles and also keep your feet dry during trekking
- Long sleeved shirt and trouser to keep you warm and protect you from thorny plants
- Waterproof rain jacket/ poncho to protect you from rainfall because Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga gorilla national park are tropical rainforests which means that it can rain anytime of the day regardless of the season.
- Warm sweater to keep you warm during trekking as it tends to become cold in the morning and in the evening at the lodge.
- Energy snacks like packed lunch from the lodge and drinking water to keep you hydrated during gorilla trekking.
- Insect repellent to protect you from biting insects such as tsetse flies or mosquitos
- Camera and extra batteries to take photos and record videos during the one hour in the presence of the mountain gorillas.
- A pair of binoculars for clear viewing of other wildlife species in Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga gorilla national park including bird species, mammals, butterflies among others.
- A hat and sunglasses to protect you from direct sunlight during gorilla trekking in the dry season.
- Waterproof backpack to carry your gorilla trekking essentials such as energy snacks, insect repellent, camera, binoculars, face mask, rain jacket/ poncho, gorilla trekking permit among others.